Posted by Shivali Anand
March 24, 2022 | 3-minute read (453 words)
A well-written professional bio, also known as a professional biography, can enhance your reputation, boost credibility in your sector and convey your skills to potential customers. Further, it can help make your company more appealing to potential candidates.
The key to creating a compelling professional bio is to keep it short while still including vital details that emphasize your experience and abilities.
Take a look at these five steps to help write a compelling professional bio:
1. Choose a perspective – Using a third-person viewpoint in a professional bio is often regarded as more sophisticated. It also makes it easier to write about yourself. Another benefit of using a third-person point of view is that it helps with SEO. Just be careful not to use your name too frequently or it will detract from your bio.
2. Include an introduction – Begin your professional bio with a concise introduction that contains your name, education, job, credentials and other key accomplishments.
3. Include content to back up the intro – After developing a powerful introduction, incorporate your passions and values. This can help evaluate your personal values (values that have shaped you into who you are and piqued your interest in your career), professional values (values that incorporate the aspects of your organization that you find most crucial along with your professional goals), attributes (traits that help you to excel at work) and skills (accomplishments that you make you an asset, whether through education, training or experience).
This part is where you should include details about your present employment, such as your responsibilities. This helps potential employers see you as a strong candidate.
4. Keep it short – The length of your professional bio should be determined by its purpose and the platform for which it is written. A bio on a social networking network like LinkedIn, for example, is usually limited to a certain number of words. So, when writing for a job search site, strive to keep your bio between 300 and 500 words long. On the other hand, a bio for a professional website may be between 1,500 and 2,000 words in length. It's preferable to make your bio as to-the-point and straightforward as possible, regardless of the platform.
Try structuring your professional bio so that the most critical information is covered first to ensure only the most relevant data is included. Make sure to remove any information that is superfluous.
5. Review the final content – Your professional bio demonstrates your communication skills and attention to detail to the reader. Thus, you must edit and proofread your work thoroughly. You may ask a friend or family member to proofread your work to ensure that there are no awkward wording, spelling or grammatical errors.